A family unraveled and the cord that binds them – A grateful Thanksgiving

November 20, 2012

Sunflower and Leu Gardens in Winter Park FL

The ebb and flow of life and introspection.   So many beautiful memories of Thanksgiving, many that I shared with my parents and my Aunt and Uncle when we were all together in New Jersey.   We had tradition and wonderful food, and we never missed a holiday together.   My Aunt would always serve the canned jellied cranberry sauce which she sliced into circles, laid on equally perfect rounds of fresh orange..each one placed with surgical precision around the huge brown bird.   Crystal goblets, fine china–everything polished and fresh for the holiday.  The hors doeuvres were always served downstairs with adult cocktails, each year she presented chopped liver with square crackers and tiny bowls of salted peanuts.  All expected and all quite comforting.  My Aunt’s sister would have just have that one more Black Russian to put her in the mood.   Dinner was  always served upstairs in the grand dining room.   Looking back as we do and remembering…my Mom and my Dad have both passed on, my older brother lies in a psychiatic hospital and my middle brother lives in California with my sister-in-law and his wonderful twin boys.  My Aunt still lives and today is on watch in NYC while my Uncle has Open Heart Surgery.  This is just how it is this year.

For me, I left the warm arms of New Jersey in 1991 for the unknown in Florida.  At that time I was chasing a job assignment and running from the pain of loss.    I soon married and raised a blended family.  Now my stepsons have a life of their own, one will be visiting his own family– my daughter-in-law and grandson– and the other will be spending Thanksgiving in Texas with new friends.  I want to embrace all of the changes that life brings to us, some so difficult and heartbreaking and others so warm and delightful.   I am very thankful that the light of my life, my daughter, will be returning from college on Wednesday to share the Thanksgiving break with us.  She is the cord that binds us, she knows my heart.  We are a small family now, but a peaceful, tranquil one and I will enjoy the quiet still with her.  We will cook and bake together and make new memories and connections that she will pass on to her children.  For we never know how long we will be here and when we will be called away.

Rachel on her High school graduation day

1. What a beautiful post, I am so happy you and your lovely daughter will be spending Thanksgiving together, cooking and baking and as you said it making new memories. How wonderful! A very happy Thanksgiving to you and your entire family.

Comment by Suzanne — November 20, 2012

2. Oh Wendy this was just lovely. I’m sorry for your losses but happy Rachel is coming home, hope the three of you have a lovely Thanksgiving together. These times are precious, enjoy. (Such a gorgeous picture of Rachel!) happy Thanksgiving my friend. xx

Comment by Jayne — November 20, 2012

3. Thank you so very much Suzanne, I am so happy she will be home with me too :) Thank you for taking the time to comment my friend and have a beautiful Thanksgiving.

Comment by Wendy Read — November 20, 2012

4. Oh sweet Jayne..thank you for taking the time out to comment, we all have such tough losses, I hardly ever speak of them, but this time of the year brings up so much for me–I know you of all people really understand. Lots of love to you from afar :)

Comment by Wendy Read — November 20, 2012

5. A lovely glimpse into your family and its past, present ans future. Your daughter resembles her beautiful mother. Happy Thanksgiving and love, Liz

Comment by LiztheChef — November 20, 2012

6. Hi Wendy,

Your words are as beautiful and comforting as your spirit and your jams :) So nice that you will get to spend Thanksgiving with Rachel. As always, a wonderful picture of her. I don’t think I have ever seen a single bad picture … she’s such a beautiful girl so I don’t think it’s possible. Hope you have a warm & wonderful Thanksgiving and I look forward to our next chit-chat on the patio :)

Comment by Allison — November 21, 2012

7. I had no idea this was you. :) I too started in the Northeast, went to college in Tennessee, eventually moved to Orlando and finally on to Australia. Life’s ebbs and flows are just as they should be. Great site and lovely blog!

Comment by Maureen | Orgasmic Chef — November 22, 2012

8. thank you so much Liz, your words are so kind :)

Comment by Wendy Read — November 24, 2012

9. Thank you so much Maureen…so nice we have so much in common!

Comment by Wendy Read — November 24, 2012

10. Ah sweet Allison, thanks so much!

Comment by Wendy Read — November 24, 2012

11. Beautifully written Wendy. What a beautiful daughter you have. Happy belated Thanksgiving my friend!

Comment by foodwanderings — December 1, 2012

12. What a beautiful post, Wendy, and one that resonates with so many of us. Times change and so do we. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your daughter – the photo of her is lovely :-)

Comment by Chez Suzanne / The Wimpy Vegetarian — December 4, 2012

13. Thank you so much for taking the time to post up Suzanne, it is so nice to know that there are understanding souls out there :)

Comment by Wendy Read — December 16, 2012

14. Thank you Shulie :)

Comment by Wendy Read — December 16, 2012

15. Heya i’m for the primary time here. I came across this board and I in finding It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to present one thing back and aid others such as you helped me.

Comment by financial help — August 12, 2013