Blueberry Basil Jam and Spring Valley Farms

May 14, 2013

untitled-1

Just as the Strawberries finish, in between the Zucchini…the Blueberry season starts in Florida.  We start to see the first glorious berries in March.  I am so lucky to have found the wonderful family that owns Spring Valley Farms in Umatilla, Florida.  Vesna and Chuck have been amazing and incredibly generous,  and I am so grateful to have them in my life.  This year I have produced Blueberry DiSaronno, Blueberry Verbena, Blueberry Basil, and Blueberry Citrus Jams along with Blueberry Syrup and sumptuous Pickled Blueberries.  We go out the farm as often as we can during the growing season.  Silvio rides in the car with me, he has worked with me for two years now, I don’ t know what I would do without his help to clean, prep and help me cook all of the wonderful products we make.

Silvio in the Blueberry Field

Silvio in the Blueberry Field

Ripened Fresh Blueberries at Spring Valley Farm.

Ripened Fresh Blueberries at Spring Valley Farm.

I wanted to post up a recipe for my Blueberry Basil Jam.  Fresh Basil gives the jam a really subtle and delightful flavor.  I make my jams without commerical pectin.  This is a bit more time consuming, but I believe it is worth it for the lose set it gives the final product.   If you give this recipe a go, I would love to hear how you like it.

1. Wendy, I’m going to try this – the blueberries are just looking good in our markets and I’m working on a blueberry salsa for this week’s post.

Comment by Lizthechef — May 14, 2013

2. I love the sound of this! We don’t really get local blueberries here but they are getting cheaper in the supermarket as the season gets underway in Europe. It won’t be long until I can try this! Loved the pictures, especially fun to see Silvio again. Say hi to him! Lovely to see you posting again.

Comment by Jayne — May 14, 2013

3. Ooo!! Love the sound of a Blueberry Salsa :) Would be great if I could get it to be shelf stable–would have to work with my trusty PH tester. Thanks for taking the time to comment my friend!

Comment by Wendy Read — May 14, 2013

4. I will Jayne! He asks about you all the time too :) Hope you get to try it and thanks so much for taking the time to comment here. X.

Comment by Wendy Read — May 14, 2013

5. I made a strawberry basil cocktail last week and am newly enthralled with what this herb I love brings to a sweeter side. This sounds so right up my ‘I love all of your jams’ alley Wendy; thank you so much for sharing!

Comment by Barbara | Creative Culinary — May 15, 2013

6. I love marrying fruit flavors with herbs, so I know I’d love this. Our blueberries are just starting to ripen in our backyard, so perfect timing!

Comment by The Wimpy Vegetarian — June 6, 2013

7. Wendy, The blueberry jam with basil sounds delicious! I just took a peek at your vintage store…I love it! I hope to shop there soon!

Happy 2014 :)

Comment by Mari — January 3, 2014

8. Thanks so much Mari!!! Your website is gorgeous :)

Comment by wendyread — January 3, 2014