Cowboy Candy Corn Bread

April 8, 2012

Cowboy Candy Cornbread

Rebecca of Foodie with Family fame, has a recipe for candied jalapenos on her site that is wonderful.   I adapted her recipe to make my own “Cowboy Candy”, aka candied jalapenos, and I use these candied gems to enhance a wonderful Corn Bread that pairs well with chili or a simple green salad.  This cornbread is sometimes sampled to my Winter Park Farmer’s Market customers so that they can get ideas for how to incorporate my canned products into their meals.   You can also use the leftover syrup for making your own salad dressing, or martinis….or simply adding some zippy flavor to some plain brown rice.  If you press on the link above, it will take you directly to Rebecca’s site so that you can make your own.   I made several modifcations to her recipe when developing mine which includes using fresh ground Guajilla pepper , along with about twice as much granulated garlic and some other “secret” spices.    Surely, you will add your own twist to these exciting bits!

The corn bread recipe below was taken from All Recipes and ever so slightly adapted, I used canola oil instead of olive oil and instead of using 3 fresh Jalapenos I used 1/3 of  a cup of my candied jalapenos along with a tablespoon of the juice from the jar to kick this recipe up a notch.   I also turned the heat down from 400 to 395 and this slight difference added a touch of moistness to the crumb, corn bread can really come out dry sometimes.  Follow the link above to see the original recipe, here is my adaptation.

Cowboy Candy Cornbread on a Sunday Afternoon

1. I love cornbread so much! The addition of those candied jalapeños sounds amazing! This is the 2nd time this weekend I have come across candied jalapeños, must be an omen, I see them being made in my kitchen soon, along with the cornbread! I love your photos too, great post!

Comment by Jayne — April 8, 2012

2. You know I can been saving my jar of cowboy candy, waiting for this! Your photos are so, so pretty. X0

Comment by LiztheChef — April 8, 2012

3. We get jalapenos really cheap here in SoCal, and I think I will have to make your Cowboy Candy:) All those little jars from artichokes and capers will come in handy:)
    In Serbia, cornbread is never sweet – I don’t think we even had sweet corn until a few years ago, when it started entering the market. My oldest daughter has developed a taste for Yankee cornbread, and she always adds sugar. I’ll have to pass your recipe to her – she’ll love it!

Comment by Lana — April 8, 2012

4. Thanks so much Liz! I hope you love the recipe too.

Comment by Wendy Read — April 8, 2012

5. Jalapenos are in season here right now, so the price is so very good too Lana! Thrilled you will pass this recipe on–it is really delish and a great standby here at our house!

Comment by Wendy Read — April 8, 2012

6. This cornbread is really good, nice and moist with bits of spice, my customer’s go crazy over it. Can’t wait to see how i turns out for you Jayne! Thanks so much for commenting my friend.

Comment by Wendy Read — April 8, 2012

7. Hello,
    this is my first time here. I like corn bread, so every version of this recipe gets 5 stars from me. :) Thanks for sharing.

Comment by Danijela — April 10, 2012

8. Welcome Danijela! Can’t wait to hear how this turns out for you :)

Comment by Wendy Read — April 10, 2012

9. COuld you please include a link or information on where to find these esoteric Candied Jalapenos and Candied Jalapeno syrup??? I have never heard of either of these before.

Comment by J'Marinde Shephard — July 5, 2012

10. Please contact me directly: aread1@cfl.rr.com
    I would be most happy to supply you with my fabulous Cowboy Candy! I do not have it up in my online store yet.

Comment by Wendy Read — July 6, 2012

11. I’ve never seen candied jalapenos on Long Island. However, I always keep a jar of jalapeno pepper jelly on hand to serve with cheese and crackers. Can I substitute a couple of tablespoons of this jelly for the candied jalapenos?

Comment by Louise — January 23, 2013