Fresh Orange, Soursop, Vanilla Bean and Bourbon Jam

April 6, 2012

Fresh Apopka Oranges

I myself am not a great lover of marmalades.  My husband, on the other hand, loves the sweet bitterness they impart on the tongue….whereas I can only think of bile to be honest.   But I am so grateful to be living in the midst of citrus heaven here in Central Florida.  I have access to a small grove of orange and grapefuit trees in Apopka where I can go to pick oranges to my heart’s content.  I created a new jam this year combining these fresh oranges with frozen soursop pulp.  I am usually a purist and like to stick with fresh fruit only–but until I can grow my own soursop, I will be using the frozen pulp that I can purchase at our local hispanic store.   Soursop tastes like a combination of strawberries and pineapple and almost to me a bit “watermelony” with citrus undertones.   It is known as guanabana in the Carribean countries and is used to make fruit drinks, smoothies and ice creams.  I was introduced to this fruit by my Columbian friends who make glorious popsicles each summer using the frozen pulp.

This recipe does not even use any of the zest of the fruit and to me has all the sweet qualities that citrus has without any of the “tough” bitter bits!  The preparation is a bit intense, but it is so worth it when you tuck into your fresh preserves long after the season has passed.

Fresh Orange Soursop Jam with Ladyfingers and Expresso

For the preparation, I take the whole oranges, I cut them in half, then quarter them.  I place all of these orange quarters in a large working bowl,  and then I carefully cut the flesh out of the skin and “clip out” the membrane containing the seeds.  I save the seeds and membranes in a ziplock and then freeze, so I can use in my other jams that require more pectin.  These fresh orange sections have plenty of pectin and do not need the added seeds to help the jam come together to a beautiful consistency.  You will have lots of juice on your cutting board, keep scooping up the juice as you work and add to your completed bowl of orange flesh, all of these juices add to the flavor!  Do not worry at all about how the oranges look, just add all the tender bits that you can.  Once the fruit is added to your jam pot, you will use an immersion blender to break the fruit down into the bit size pieces that make this preserve so wonderful.  I cook mine in a large french copper jam pot, you may use any type of wide bottomed pot that you have in your kitchen–the heavier the better.  This jam will require standing and stirring towards the end of the cooking process, it cannot be left to cook on its own.

Droolworthy Orange Soursop Vanilla and Bourbon Jam

Orange, Soursop Vanilla Bean & Bourbon Jam on Punk Domestics
  1. “Soursop” is a totally new concept to me, something I have yet to spot here in California. I love your recipe and all things marmalade…

Comment by LiztheChef — April 6, 2012

2. I love the idea of picking my own oranges! This sounds lovely! I’ve never heard of soursop before and I doubt I can get it here, you will just have to save me a jar for next time!

Comment by Jayne — April 6, 2012

3. Liz, the fruit is delicious!! I am sure you can get the frozen pulp and make smoothies with it, I really love it.

Comment by Wendy Read — April 7, 2012

4. I know, I know Jayne, me too :) Especially when Silvio does it and throws them down to me while I am holding the bucket! It is a comedy :) I have a jar here that already has your name on it!

Comment by Wendy Read — April 7, 2012

5. you have to love fresh ingredients! apparently soursop has real wellness qualities to it as well!

Comment by brain pillsner — April 7, 2012

6. Yes, anti-cancer properties in mice so far…..and it is delish :)

Comment by Wendy Read — April 7, 2012

7. I’ve never heard of soursop, and will need to hunt it down. I too am not a fan of marmalade. I’ve tried so many, and I just can’t get there. So this looks perfect for me. Where do you get citric acid? I’ve been looking around in my stores for a couple months now as I want to get some to make some cheese. Do you do mail order?

Comment by Chez Suzanne / The Wimpy Vegetarian — April 7, 2012

8. Thanks so much for posting Suzanne! Ball has a product called Fruit Fresh that is available at the supermarket. Of course, I won’t use it because it has chemical anti-caking additives, and I just won’t expose my customer’s to any type of additives. I purchase mine wholesale locally in 32 oz containers and it is just pure Citric Acid. Nuts.com has it available in a one pound size and I do trust them! Here is a link for you: http://nuts.com/cookingbaking/salts/citric-acid.html?gclid=CKHIzszIpa8CFQNgTAoddUSKWw

And PS: I also use a solution of this to keep my dishwasher fresh and drains working clean.

Comment by Wendy Read — April 8, 2012

9. Thank you so much for this information! I love the tip for my dishwasher and drains too :-) I’m going on nuts.com right now to order. Happy Easter to you and your family!

Comment by Chez Suzanne / The Wimpy Vegetarian — April 8, 2012

10. apparently not only is sour sop tasty, but it has been used to fight off cancer cells for hundreds of years by the native people of the amazon rainforest. really cool!

Comment by brain pillsner — April 8, 2012

11. Of course Suzanne!

Comment by Wendy Read — April 8, 2012

12. Yes I know! It is a really popular fruit in the Dominican Republic too and is famous for its anti-cancer properties.

Comment by Wendy Read — April 8, 2012

13. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much more of your respective exciting content. Ensure that you update this again very soon..

Comment by Jones sabo fashionable and simply thigh children are great lover of predominantl — May 3, 2013