Fresh Ricotta Panna Cotta with Port Fig Sauce #Baketogether

August 31, 2012

Port and Fig Panna Cotta

I very much wanted to participate in the No-Baketogether this hot month of August with Abby Dodge, so here I am on the last day of the month, rushing to put this quick dessert together.  I must admit I have never made panna cotta, and was really looking foward to trying this perfect florida weather dessert.  So nothing like being an over-achiever or anything, but in the middle of processing 525 jars this week, (not complaining)  I just stopped short and made this not only because I love the baketogether, but I had this idea to use up some of my “tester” fig jam from the 100 or so jars that were processed here in the kitchen this week.  Abby’s recipes are always so terrific and they end up being staples and keepers in my files.  I would like to try this particular recipe with marscapone cheese next time as I would prefer a smoother tongue-feel, but this recipe is low-calorie and so fresh-tasting, if you don’t mind that little bit of “grain”, you will love it!

If you would like to participate and find out more about Abby Dodge and the Baketogether, please read more here.  Abby and the entire community are really fabulous and I enjoy learning something new each month and really get a kick out of all of the different variations the group can come up with when given a basic recipe.

Lovely no cook panna cotta with fig and port preserves topping.

1. Figs (and rushing) must be in the air! I just made gluten free fig muffins for a Twelve Loaves August Challenge today. I’ve been wanting to make a fig jam with ouzo. Think I’ll have to do your fig balsamic too. What kind of jar is the one directly above? I like it ;-)

Comment by Lynn — August 31, 2012

2. Just the thought of your fig jam and port is making me soon! Thanks so much for dropping everything (not literally, thankfully!) and joining in the baketogether fun!

Comment by Abby Dodge — August 31, 2012

3. Gorgeous and I want to join in the fun next month with you, Abby and the gang.

Comment by LiztheChef — August 31, 2012

4. Hi Lynn! The jar is made by Weck, aren’t they great? I love them and will be introducing a line for one of my customers using this line of jars :) I saw Hank’s recipe for Fig Ouzo too–it looks wonderful. I posted a fig and balsamic recipe last year one this blog too if you are needing a good pectin-free recipe. thanks for your comment and visit!

Comment by Wendy Read — August 31, 2012

5. thanks so much Abby, I hate to miss it! Your baketogethers are really wonderful, easy to participate, easy to link—and I always learn something new:)

Comment by Wendy Read — August 31, 2012

6. Yes, come and join, there is only one linky tool on her page, it is easy peasy and her recipes are tops!!

Comment by Wendy Read — August 31, 2012

7. Beautiful! Incredible flavors I love the fig and port jam sauce. A wonderful addition to Abby’s bake together.

Comment by Suzanne — September 1, 2012

8. Thanks so much Suzanne!

Comment by Wendy Read — September 1, 2012

9. Oh my goodness! Your panna cotta is lovely Wendy!! And that port fig sauce sounds divine (*Note to self: Go see if that’s available in your store. Now!) And that picture is perfection. It makes me want to grab a spoon and savor every last bite. Beautiful job!

Comment by Kate | Food Babbles — September 1, 2012

10. Looks lovely! I love the sound of your fig preserves!

Comment by Jayne — September 2, 2012

11. Thank you so much Kate!! The Fig is only available at my markets—but if you really wanted some…would be happy to post to you :) X, Wendy

Comment by Wendy Read — September 2, 2012

12. thanks Jayne, I have a lovely recipe on the blog for my Fig and Balsamic jam..if you get figs, they are easy-peasy to work with, no pectin, macerate overnight.

Comment by Wendy Read — September 2, 2012

13. I love anything with figs and and the combination with Port is perfect. I agree with you about the panna cotta. I prefer mine smooth, too, but the dessert in a little jar is very cute.

Comment by Bunkycooks — September 2, 2012

14. Oh, this is lovely! What a great twist on Abby’s wonderful recipe, especially with all the figs still in our markets. Great flavor combos!!

Comment by Chez Suzanne / The Wimpy Vegetarian — October 5, 2012

15. Thanks so much Sue for taking the time to comment :) I love this fig sauce!!!

Comment by Wendy Read — October 7, 2012