Mom’s Custard Rice Pudding circa 1950

April 15, 2012

Rice Pudding

Mom used to make this rice pudding for us when we were kids, and I would love to eat it warm for breakfast.   She had a special pink pyrex casserole she used to bake this in,  and one year at a family gathering it was smashed to pieces…I mourned over it.   These objects take on a life of their own especially after a loved one’s death.  They seem irreplacable, but the healing is in the making.  So her recipe lives on through me and hopefully my daughter will someday make this same pudding and feel as gushy as I do about my “vintage” pyrex.   These past few months have been difficult for me, my brother has been horribly ill and is thankfully on his way back up.   He lost his swallow relflex and has been in a skilled nursing home working hard with a speech therapist to regain his ability to swallow and have his stomach tube removed.   I visited him this week, and he had been taken to the hospital to have the “official” swallow test done and he passed!  For now it is on to soft foods for him and he does not have to be tethered to a bottle of chocolate protein…and I am hopeful that he will continue to get stronger.    I asked him if he would like to have a bit of “mom’s” rice pudding, can you guess what he said?

Digging in to a Rice Pudding Casserole

1. I loved rice pudding as a child, my mother made it with Carnation milk! I know exactly what you mean about becoming so sentimental about items after losing loved ones, unfortunately I have a house full of such things! I’m so happy to hear your brother can eat rice pudding, I bet it was like nectar to him! I like your addition of almond- yum! Will be trying this!

Comment by Jayne — April 15, 2012

2. My very favorite kind of post – and best to your brother, on the mend…I have three mixing bowls and I pie plate from my mother’s kitchen. I rarely use them because I’m terrified of breaking them -

Comment by LiztheChef — April 15, 2012

3. Oh, can’t wait till you make it Jayne! Please let me know how you like it :)

Comment by Wendy Read — April 15, 2012

4. Thanks for your kind words Liz, you should have seen his face this afternoon when I brought it to him! He gobbled every last grain of it :)

I have to tell you that I use my Mom’s things all the time now. When I first got married, one of my stepkids dropped her original pyrex pie dish. I was so devastated, I yelled, I screamed, I left the house crying and went and purchased another one that was similar to hers…unbeknownest to be, my husband went out at the same time with all the kids and purchased one too (exactly the same one). It was one of those priceless moments. I decided then and there that was a message from my Mom to go ahead and use everything, as the magic was really in the memories of what was cooked inside and she had left all that knowledge with me.

Comment by Wendy Read — April 15, 2012

5. And please omit the cinnamon if Andy doesn’t care for it, it won’t suffer at bit!

Comment by Wendy Read — April 15, 2012

6. I loved, loved, loved her rice pudding. She made it with all of her love….

Comment by Este — April 15, 2012

7. Thanks so much for this special timely story!

Comment by Sue — April 15, 2012

8. Ah Este…I did too…today it came out perfectly :) Ira really loved it and I had to write about it. Thanks so much for posting.

Comment by Wendy Read — April 15, 2012

9. Of cours Sue! Thanks so much for appreciating and posting up a comment:)

Comment by Wendy Read — April 15, 2012

10. I have never tried to bake a pudding with rice in it…this is an interesting recipe.Bookmarking this one:)

Comment by Nina — April 19, 2012

11. This is such a good pudding :)

Comment by Wendy Read — April 19, 2012

12. I love rice pudding and this looks so yummy!

Comment by JulieD — April 25, 2012

13. Wendy, I have to thank you for this recipe. It is the closest to my Mom’s recipe (which I am unable to find). She would also add some raisins to it. I actually have the tin bowl
    she made it in. I’m looking forward to making this recipe and maybe I can surprise my
    siblings with it. I still look for my Mom’s recipe as I was able to get all of her recipes.
    Again thank you.

Comment by JudyB — May 4, 2013

14. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know Judy! It makes is all worthwhile to get comments like yours :)

Comment by Wendy Read — May 5, 2013

15. Finally. I found THE recipe. This sounds and looks just like the one my grandma made for us back in the 60’s. I have dreamed of it ever since. Thank you so much. I hope your brother is doing well. debi

Comment by debi — June 14, 2013