On losing an account

June 29, 2012

A trip to New York City for a much needed visit with family.

I start the day catching up on Facebook, twitter, now Pinterest—my networking groups, all in an effort to stay human, connected, promote, and not get lost in the repetitive production of my business.  The seasons produce this ever-changing array of fresh fruits and vegetables, all begging to get into the jars at their peak.   After just three years, the pressure wears on me at times.  I get tired.

I have my live markets where I can recharge and get feedback from loyal and wonderful customers, my “emotional “ filling station so to speak.   Being a perfectionist,  pushing hard to make such a fresh and beautiful product, driving to farms to physically pick and/or pick up local produce..personally delivering product to my local customers—it is difficult not to get attached to the results..to the bottom line.  I have wonderful, loyal customers, and I cherish every one of them in that they support my physical and financial well-being.  All I really want to do is focus on those that appreciate and I do have so many.

So why is it that it is so traumatic when I lose an account?

Some of my accounts go out of business without a word.  It is so sad.   They just disappear, most times with no forwarding information.  It was as if the relationship never existed.   For others, I watch the new competitive products appear on their facebook feeds, and it always feels like they have taken on a new girlfriend.   Lots of times I think not as pretty as the old one.    If I was assured it was an “open relationship”, I would feel so much better, but when they don’t respond to my communication, it feels like the charm has worn off, so fickle, so onto the new, best thing, or the local thing, or the politically correct thing—sometimes the “thing” having nothing to do with my product at all…… And I know in my heart that all I need to focus on are my wonderful, loyal customers.

Of course I know.

1. Chin up and remember the truth is the statement, “When one door closes, another opens.” I have finally learned this lesson in life – I think ;)

Comment by LiztheChef — June 29, 2012

2. Its hard out in that business world! I know it must be hard not to take it personally but you really shouldn’t, have faith in yourself and your wonderful products! Its really their loss. Love that picture of you!

Comment by Jayne — June 29, 2012

3. Tx sweetJayne :)

Comment by Wendy Read — June 29, 2012

4. I am a self employed person and feel your pain, Jayne and Liz are so right. Chin up, with your wonderful products many more doors will open for you. I experience the same disappointment all the time and know how hard it is to wrap yourself around this. I have to fight the same feelings all the time but in the end you will prevail, I am sure of it.

Comment by Suzanne — June 30, 2012

5. I’m so sorry, Wendy. Your products are wonderfully fresh, unique and simply divine. Surely, you have many loyal customers who will not cast you aside. Focus on them. And I’m sure you will have no shortage of future clients as well!

Comment by Kate | Food Babbles — June 30, 2012

6. So right my friend…I was having a moment :) I have so many positive, wonderful things happening around me all the time.

Comment by Wendy Read — June 30, 2012

7. Thx for taking the time for such a thoughtful response Suzanne. I know, I believe in my products, I just have my disappointments and I would love to feel better about them immediately. I was just taking a bit of time to mourn :)

Comment by Wendy Read — June 30, 2012

8. Hey Kate, Tx for posting here and your vote of confidence! I do have many loyal and fabulous customers, it is true. I am just so senstive, it is hard when I lose one :)

Comment by Wendy Read — June 30, 2012

9. Wendy, your products are wonderful. So much love is invested in each jar, and our shops are more interesting and special as a result. Thank you, Lael for introducing us to Wendy and her wonderful products. BTW, St. Augustine loves Sunchowder’s, too!

Wishing you continued success.

Your loyal fans,
    Jeffrey & Bryan

Comment by Jeffrey & Bryan, The Ancient Olive of Winter Park — July 2, 2012

10. THank you so much for your beautiful words and taking the time to post. It touched my heart and I love having customers like you!

Comment by Wendy Read — July 5, 2012

11. I was in sales for more years than I care to remember – that whole corporate world that seems like a lifetime (at least) ago now. You have an amazing product line that just screams fresh, creative and delicious every time I look at it. I just always say it just wasn’t meant to be when I lost some business. Just focus on all the good things, and people/customers who love you and your products. Sometimes people change for reasons that have nothing at all to do with you. I really connected to this post of yours :-) Keep up the great work.

Comment by Chez Suzanne / The Wimpy Vegetarian — July 16, 2012

12. Thank you so much for replying Suzanne. I was in two minds whether to post this or not, I do struggle with it. Your words are so kind and you make alot of sense. Of course I agree with you!

Comment by Wendy Read — July 16, 2012