Rustic Apple Cake featuring Sunchowder’s Apple Butter

October 19, 2012

Rustic Apple Cake

It is finally fall…the weather is beginning to break here in Florida.  We have had some cooler nights (in the 70s) and I just love it.  Fall is my favorite time of the year, it reminds me of Spring renewal in the Northeast.  I have planted a bit of a garden this year and now is the time for hurried growth, completely the opposite of how I grew up in New Jersey.   I love this simple recipe for Rustic Apple Cake.  It is not too sweet, even with the addition of my Apple Butter.  I prefer using Granny Smith apples, but you can, of course, use your favorite apples and swap out the walnuts for your favorite nuts or those that you have in abundance.

Rustic Apple Cake from Sunchowder’s Emporia

1. Lovely cake, it’s just perfect for Fall, I love that apple time of year! Your cake looks lovely and moist and adding a jar of apple butter- heaven!

Comment by Jayne — October 19, 2012

2. Thank you so much Jayne! I hope that you will get to try it sometime, I just love this recipe as it is not too sweet, so fallish :)

Comment by Wendy Read — October 19, 2012

3. Looks beautiful…Plan to try when I get home from New Mexico…

Comment by Lizthechef — October 19, 2012

4. OMG nothing rustic about this cake. The crumb is incredible. Absolutely mouth watering. I bet your apple butter is delicious you know how much joy I take in what you do, so incredible!

Comment by foodwanderings — October 30, 2012

5. This looks fabulous, Wendy. I love any kind of apple cake, in truth, but really like the idea of using apple butter in it. It must make it so full of apple flavor and so beautifully moist.

Comment by Chez Suzanne / The Wimpy Vegetarian — October 30, 2012

6. This is a beautiful and perfect cake, Wendy, and I’ll be making this one too. Apple cake or pie is my husband’s favorite and this looks just delicious, moist and flavorful. It won’t last long around here between breakfast and snack…

Comment by Jamie — November 27, 2012

7. Thanks so much Jamie, you will have to let me know if you try it :)

Comment by Wendy Read — November 27, 2012